Last week I wrapped up how much reading I was able to do during the month of July! I have similarly high expectations for August, but with everything going on in the world I’m not super set on getting all of it done. This includes the book club pick for The Literally Dead Book Club, the August prompts for Books and Tea, Tome Topple, the Busy Bee Book Club, the readEHthon, and some horror picks from my two horror groups, one from Goodreads and one from Reddit.
I’ll break this down into parts:
Literally Dead Book Club Pick
This is a club run by Books and Lala on YouTube, which can be found at their Goodreads. I was able to read their August book at the end of the month last month, and would love to read their September book this month if I can.
- August – Home Before Dark by Riley Sager
- September – Catherine House by Elisabeth Thomas
This is a readathon celebrating Canadian books, started by Kayla (linked above) and co-hosted by a whole fantastic group of people on YouTube. The readathon will run from August 3rd – 9th. For this they have a lovely bingo board where you can try and read multiple books to get bingo. I’m going to aim for two books, with a third one that can overlap with Tome Topple if I get to it. These books will complete the top row of the bingo board.
- Starlight by Richard Wagamese
- Split Tooth by Tanya Tagaq
Tome Topple & The Busy Bee Bookclub
The 12th round of Tome Topple, run by Sam of Thoughts on Tomes will be held from August 8th – 21st and focuses on reading the tomes (books over 500 pages) on your TBR. The Busy Bee Bookclub is run by Aaron from Booked and Busy and this month’s pick will also be my book to satisfy Tome Topple.
- The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter
Books & Tea August Prompts (Discord Group)
This list of prompts I usually try and fit my existing TBR into, but I do have a few that will stand on their own
- Read a book from a genre you like but haven’t touched in a while – The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter
- Read a book that gives happy vibes or features water – Starlight by Richard Wagamese
- Read a book featuring a-spec characters – Radio Silence by Alice Oseman
- Read something translated – A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
- Read a book on your current reading challenge list – The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
Horror Aficionados (Goodreads Group)
This is a group I recently joined, and they have several group reads. I’m hoping to get to at least two of them this month if possible.
- The Reddening by Adam Nevill
- White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi
- White Pines by Gemma Amor
- Curse of the Pigman by Asher Ellis
Horror Lit Bookclub (Reddit Group)
This is another group I recently joined, and they also have four books this month. I’m aiming to get to at least one of these books if possible.
- Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones
- The Cipher by Kathe Koja
- Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon
- The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
These are the books that don’t fit into any of the prompts for anything, but that I had a desire to read this month if possible:
- The Bear by Andrew Krivak
- A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab
- Misery by Stephen King
- March Volumes 1-3 by John Lewis
- An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green
Obviously over twenty books is not entirely realistic for the month, but I’d love to get to as many of these as I can. We’ll see where the month takes us!