I found this lovely tag over at Books and Dachshunds and wanted to try it! This is all about my habits when it comes to books, book covers, and what makes me interested in them. This is a topic I love talking about at length with friends, so I was excited to see these questions.
1. Do you judge a book by its cover?
Absolutely, but only if I’ve never heard of it. If someone is holding up the cover, or says they love the book first, the cover doesn’t matter. If it’s me discovering the book, the impressions I get on the cover convince me whether I should read the synopsis or not.
2. Focusing on just the cover, what attracts you to pick it up?
I’m mostly easy to please, but I don’t think photographs are done well all the time, especially when it comes to a specific character. I don’t typically want to see that character’s face on the book.
3. Do you read the synopsis first, or do you prefer to go in knowing nothing about the book?
I like going in blind. I want to know as little as possible. Most of the time this works out really well, but sometimes it totally backfires and I end up thinking something is a completely different genre than it is.
4. Do you have any auto-buy authors?
Yes! V.E. Schwab, Grady Hendrix, Riley Sagar, Sylvain Neuvel are my current favorites.
5. Are you more likely to buy a book if it has specific elements/themes?
Sometimes. I’m more of a genre-reader than a trope/theme reader, with the exception of thrillers. I like family dramas, or revisiting the past in the “modern gothic” sense when it comes to those.
6. Do you ever read a book that has generally negative reviews just to form your own opinion on it?
Oh absolutely, though most of the time I tend to agree with the reviews themselves. I read reviews from the people I follow/am friends with the most, because I know whose reading tastes are most similar to my own.
7. Do you ever buy a book just because another booktuber/blogger has talked about it a lot?
That’s the main reason that I read people’s blogs and watch their videos! I like watching people with similar interests to me, so when they recommend something I typically add it to the TBR. Most of the time I already have them on my radar.
8. Is there anyone who’s book recommendations you always trust?
That’s the end of this tag! Definitely check out all of the amazing channels/blogs linked! Consider yourself tagged if you’d also like to play along.